Thursday, November 10, 2016



TECH TAC TOE: EDUCREATIONS




EducreationsTESSELLATIONS - link

Educreations is an app that is an interactive whiteboard and screen casting tool. It can be used by teachers and students to demonstrate a concept, simultaneously drawing and speaking.
I tried using Educreations to demonstrate how to create a tessellation. It was a rather frustrating experience, but that could be because I was watching game four of the World Series at the same time! I believe the app is probably more useful for explaining math operations and other types of lessons than for art. In fact, looking through their featured lessons, there was only one example of a visual art lesson, about color families.
For the tessellation lesson, I had to recreate the drawing over and over, as I found it very hard to talk and draw very accurately at the same time. Part of the problem was I made unwanted noise from moving the iPad and I did not want the shuffling sound, as it was distracting. I could not just redo the sound, so each time I had to redo the drawing as well. I also could not save the first introductory slide, so each time I had to start completely over, importing the image, adding type and speaking again. It would have been better had I been able to start with a shape, then copy and paste the image to show how it could interlock with itself, but that was not possible. The app has its limitations, but there are definitely some useful possibilities for both teachers and students. I like the fact that one can import images and draw directly on them, as it can be really useful for offering visual explanations.
However, I think many people would have the same problem I had, with drawing and talking at the same time. If there was the ability to narrate after the drawing was made, the app would be easier to use.

2 comments:

  1. I would have loved to hear your screencast with the World Series as background noise! It does sound like the app was frustrating, and possibly better for much simpler topics. I saw a teacher do a nice math lesson once, and it was pretty straightforward so it worked better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest feedback about the tool. You are right, it is very frustrating when you are trying to draw and have to re-record! Still, your finished project turned out well. Maybe you can find a different purpose for this tool!

    ReplyDelete