Saturday, September 3, 2016

Why did I name this blog "Brushstrokes"? Several years ago, I learned the art of Sumi-e painting, an ancient Japanese ink painting technique, where I learned how to manipulate a brush to create different types of strokes to create different effects. Knowing some basic brushstrokes then opened a world of possibilities for painting. We all need ways to communicate and express ourselves, and given the right tools, the possibilities are endless.
Sumi-e painting by Roosevelt 5th grader

https://youtu.be/iGQriYl0r80

I have been teaching for a long time, always combining my interests in art and special education. Those interests overlap, as they both have so much to do with expression. In my first job, back in the 80s, I taught in a residential school in England for severely emotionally disturbed children, which is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. (I'm actually amazed that 30 some years later I am still working in the area of special education, as those early years were so physically and emotionally demanding.  However, I didn't get any help in my classroom back then. Having the support of other adults in the class makes a world of difference and I continue to be amazed and inspired by students who are unique and experience the world in a less typical way.) Very early on, working with troubled kids, I found that so many of their emotions came out in their artwork, in a way that wasn't possible with words. Kids often find it difficult to talk about their feelings, and drawing or painting feels more like play. I really wanted to know how to encourage greater creative expression, and to respond to them in a meaningful way, enabling them the opportunity to work through some of their troubles. That desire to help led me to train as an art therapist.


After living in England for seven years, I moved back to Chicago and worked with children with autism, first at Michael Reese Hospital's Developmental Institute, then Easter Seal's Therapeutic Day School. Again, I was able to experience the power of art and its ability to offer a means of expression for individuals who are unable to communicate well in other ways. I also had the privilege of supervising art therapy interns from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and was rewarded with free continuing ed art classes. This opportunity enabled me to explore so many different areas of art that I had not experimented with before. I took sculpture, figure drawing, charcoal drawing of abstractions from nature, portrait drawing, Sumi-e painting, printmaking and quite a few other classes. I continue to bring what I learned in these classes into my teaching of art, particularly since I now teach in the regular education setting as well.
I have been lucky that my combination of interests have been valued by administrators. I teach art to over 150 fifth graders each year and offer an adaptive art class at the primary school, with their lowest functioning special needs students (the Skills class). I also job share teaching the middle school special needs class, where I teach reading, writing, math, and life skills, including the best part of the week, cooking!
In recent years, our Skills students are spending less and less time in the self-contained classroom and are going to far more regular ed classes. They used to attend just art, music and PE with their peers, but now we are including them in Science, Social Studies and more. Technology is a valuable tool for students with special needs in the classroom, as it allows them to access so much that was impossible in the past. Some of my students are unable to speak, so we are exploring ways to use technology and communication devices. There are now exciting possibilities for these kids and I am wanting to know more!
I guess both of my jobs, in special education and art, focus on providing opportunities for students to explore, grow and learn to express themselves. I am thinking this blog could be a way to share ideas that promote expression, combining the worlds of art, special education and technology.


In my personal life, I am crazy about traveling and having adventures. I am married to an artist and we have two kids who share our passions as well. My daughter, Naomi, is 25 and works as an occupational therapist. She made her first trip abroad when she was just six weeks old! She is in love with a lovely young man from Ecuador, so I see the purchasing of many more plane tickets in our future! My son, Carl, is 23 and he is passionate about the environment, permaculture, and photography. He just returned from a summer photography/farming trip in Peru and Bolivia and is about to travel by van from California to Alaska. We all have an insatiable desire for adventure. (Carl and I went skydiving to celebrate his 18th birthday!) We travel cheaply, and have been to so many amazing places: national parks in the U.S., including Yellowstone, the Tetons, Glacier, Arches, Rocky Mountain and more, Peru, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Europe, and Canada. Still, some of our best trips have been closer to home. One of our favorite places in the world is Sleeping Bear Dunes, in Michigan. Hmmm, I think this blog could have a travel tips section as well!
An amazing Christmas at Machu Picchu - personal photo


6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! The most interesting part to me is how you somehow landed in your current job, able to teach both of the subject areas you love and feel passionately about: art and special education. Life has a funny way of leading us where we need to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! The most interesting part to me is how you somehow landed in your current job, able to teach both of the subject areas you love and feel passionately about: art and special education. Life has a funny way of leading us where we need to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You could add a travel section! It is great to see you following your passions. It inspires others to follow their passions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the list of all that goes on in the special needs classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you could write a book about your traveling adventures! I went to the Smoky Mountains this summer and LOVED it! Looking forward to planning more trips to National Parks... Now I know who to ask! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely introduction to you, Brenda! Like others I enjoyed your explanation of all of your passions and smiled when I saw your family picture. This year we traveled with our 15 year olds to Yellowstone for the first time. Quite an adventure, and loved the family time.

    ReplyDelete